View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

I think if you want to do overdubbing, punch-ins, etc, a computer-based system would have a far better workflow.

On noise, the H6, at least, is very quiet. In fact, any self-noise it has would be small compared to the noise of fans and disks on most computers, unless you make sure to have the computer in a different room, or use only ssd drives and somehow eliminate the fan. For most of us in home recording environments, environmental noise swamps any self-noise in most gear these days.

You can, of course, use the H6 as an audio interface, so you could use it for live or location recording, or just to be able to have totally silent and very easy recording, then plugin to a computer for overdubbing. For "serious" recording, I use a computer with "better" interfaces, but for portability, etc, it's hard to beat the Zooms. Yes, you can use a Duet, etc, but I welcome any chance to get away from a computer. There's something very liberating about just hitting the record button on the zoom and knowing it will "just work" without bothering with a computer and DAW when the situation allows for it. There's just less to go wrong :-)