View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
Zoom H4n Pro vs H6

My concerns and questions re H6 ...

Everything I find on the internet regarding overdubbing only mentions the 4 XLR ins. I am wondering if you can also use the built in mics ... for example, record a guide track using the X/Y mics, then overdub something onto XLR input 1, then 2 and so on. Is this possible and can you monitor the XY mics input whilst recording to XLR inputs? Is it possible the other way round ... i.e. record a track to XLR1 and then overdub using the XY mics? And can you do multiple takes with the inbuilt XY mics (or XLR attachments) just as you can with the other XLR ins whilst monitoring the XLR ins?
Thanks for reading through my post and I look forward to any insights yawl can provide. Jan.
As you noted above I have no experience with the H4nPro. I can say that with the H6 you can use the attached mic (XY/MS/Shotgun/etc) as a source for a single track in an overdub situation. So in your example above you can record through each XLR input and overdub using the XY or go the other way starting with the XY then overdubbing through each of the four inputs. In either case you have a total of five tracks.

I haven't experimented much with overdubbing on the H6 so I'm not at all sure how it handles punch-ins and such.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog