View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 AM

Default Zoom H4n Pro vs H6 Concerns and Questions

Zoom H4n Pro vs H6

<long post warning>

Intro ...

I am considering getting one of these two devices, however, there a few concerns for each one that I am trying to find answers for before I pull the trigger. I understand the advantages of the H6 over the H4nPro and vice versa.

My usage ...

My primary use for both devices would be to do acoustic instrument recordings ... guitar, violin, percussion etc. and occasionally DI bass, electric guitar or amps although for the latter I prefer miking a cab. Sometimes these recordings will be done 'live' in a studio either close mic'd or all around a mono or stereo mic. And other times they will be done track by track ala overdubbing style.

What I like re H6 ...

What I like about the H6 is of course the 4 XLR ins, the high quality preamps, pro line level +4db inputs and the physical controls. My concerns are the multitracking or more specifically its overdubbing abilities. I already see that you can't assign preamps/inputs to different tracks ... they appear to be hardwired. I think I can live with this. Neither can you monitor the track you are overdubbing onto (which can be useful for punching in to correct a little mistake).

My concerns and questions re H6 ...

Everything I find on the internet regarding overdubbing only mentions the 4 XLR ins. I am wondering if you can also use the built in mics ... for example, record a guide track using the X/Y mics, then overdub something onto XLR input 1, then 2 and so on. Is this possible and can you monitor the XY mics input whilst recording to XLR inputs? Is it possible the other way round ... i.e. record a track to XLR1 and then overdub using the XY mics? And can you do multiple takes with the inbuilt XY mics (or XLR attachments) just as you can with the other XLR ins whilst monitoring the XLR ins?

What I like re H4n Pro ...

What I like about the H4nPro is the fact that you can multitrack and overdub almost like with a proper multitrack device (albeit with a lot of menu dancing if you start doing anything more complex). If you use the XY mic in your multitrack project it takes up 2 tracks leaving you with 2 free (a shame you can't convert to mono in the device) ... but I can live with this as you can just use the the XLR inputs and assign to any track.

My concerns and questions re H4nPro ...

My major concern is the quality of the preamps (and to a lesser extent the built in XY mics). I hear the oft repeated statement that they are now the same as in the H5 and H6. But it appears to be just this ... an oft repeated internet statement ... with little or no realworld experience backing it up. Even if the preamps were the same, the electronics and implementation of the devices are different and this does not automatically mean they will sound the same. So, does anyone have any real world experience with a direct comparison to either the H5/6 or gear such as the RME? Ideally one of those wonderful blind tests by Fran Guidry is what I am looking for. I suppose, what I'm asking is are the H4nPro preamps really as good as the H6 or is it probably just wishful thinking?

... concern and question 2 ...

My other major concern with the H4nPro is the 'line' level inputs ... nearly all my gear is of the more common +4db level. Mixers, amp DI outs, etc. Will this be a major problem? Even plugging a bass guitar directly into the inputs seems like a no no. Sure you can turn the bass volume down but on a passive system this will lose a lot of the tone. Does anyone have experience DI'ing pro level line level signals into the H4nPro? Can you pad the signal properly? I've heard you need to dial down the gain levels to about 5-6% (out of 100%) which is not really that confidence inspiring.

</end long post warning>

Thanks for reading through my post and I look forward to any insights yawl can provide. Jan.