View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Pappy,
Zoom is certainly moving into a new era in consumer recording with 32bit float. As a new owner of the R4, I can say that for my needs and set up, it is exactly what I need. The new H series you speak of incorporate some of the features I *thought* I'd like to see on the R4, but now not so much.

I think a big decision point is HOW you want to mix your recordings. If you use a DAW, then an H series recorder with stereo mics, but little or no MTR capability might be the better option. Of note, the R4 will also export raw files into a DAW also, it just has the one (decent) mic built in. As Rudy4 pointed out, its aimed at the operator, which makes sense. Only my Tascam DP008 also has that arrangement.

For me, who will record a drum track, then record vocal and guitar, the R4 is perfect. I have paired SDC mics, so I don't miss the built-in stereo mics that the H series all have. I also wear headphones and have a small speaker, so I don't need the built in speaker (which always sound tinny to me anyway). I can lay down a bass line if the urge hits me, easily on the R4.

Just as background, I started with a DR05 then DR40 recorders. Got a DP008 eventually, but found it not easy to use. Finally a Zoom R20, which I really like. But, since I only record two channels simultaneously, I find the R4 just as capable in my hands. (well, a vocal mic plus two SDCs require the R20). All said and done through that evolution, I find the R4 by far the easiest, most user friendly, and capable for my needs recorder.

I hear your concern about the blue sliders, but they work well, do not feel cheap, and I can live with them. We'll see how they hold up over time....
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7