View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I've been buying guitars since the 1960's and I don't agree with Mr. McKnight. Guitars are built and bought all over the world. There is no reason other than lack of stock or blockage from shipping and outrageous shipping costs, to raise the prices that much. Someone told the marketers, CEO's that there was a pandemic, a supply chain problem, and inflation, so they collectively decided to jack up prices. Same thing w/ food, supply controlled by only 5 corporations. In the case of PRS, they've been announcing new guitars for 3 years, w/ little availability. What is up with that?
An inflation calculator would be helpful as far as your first statement goes. Other premium makers have raised prices too. Some have had explanations that make sense.

You are correct that a small number of producers and retailers in food is not healthy for consumers but really off base on saying 5. That problem helps fuel the growing interest and niche of smaller platers it means more expensive just like a few small guitar makers.

Last year and right now shopping with our son is revealing the electric guitar market is better as far as moderately priced stuff goes.

Some of the small guitar makers state every job they have is a living wage. That aside they are all needing skilled labor where shortages remain and where those wages still rise. Lots of younger skilled people are also pursuing niches that have more stability, are less cyclical and pay a lot.

I'm glad to be GAS-free and happy to see the models plus when I got some nice guitars makes them an investment if I sold, but even happier to have a child who appreciates them.