Thread: Finger Picks
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbs
If I may chime in at this late date, allow me to suggest that you might try getting acrylic caps for your picking fingers only (and tips for initial length) and use a thumb pick or cap on the thumbnail, depending on how you hold your thumb. It's unlikely that you'll be biting the nails that have the caps unless you have case hardened teeth.

It's been my experience that those with a softer touch tend to prefer nail caps over fingerpicks, due to the more "intimate" contact with the strings, and they can take some heavy use with steel strings. Another benefit of the caps is that you can use downstrokes with your fingers - frailing, thwacking, or brushing - and they can take it very well. I've not seen many people do this with fingerpicks.

I've never met anyone who went back to fingerpicks after trying the acrylic caps.

FYI
Alaska Pics work fine for bursh downstrokes because they do not fly off like metal pics (Dunlap & National come to mind). Your statement that "I've not seen many people do this with fingerpicks" lead me to believe that you are talking about metal fingerpicks. Alaska Pics are a new world for fingerpicks with MANY advantages over the old metal picks.

- Alaska Picks do not fly off
- They sound like nails and can be mixed with nails (plastic Alaskas)
- They are easily adjustable and you can have multiple sets at different lengths for different sounds and feels if you you want.
- You can brush down with them like nails
- They allow your fingertip to FEEL the string
- They come in metal for a metal sound if wanted (takes more skill to file and bend to adjust)