View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I find that I actually get better and more balanced sound using strings closer to the skewed tension common to acoustic sets. Even on the custom sets I put together myself for the full fifths tuning, the tension profile lightens up a bit on the bass string.
Big disclaimer here: I'm an English prof, certainly no engineer. I've wondered, though, about this 'skewed' tension in acoustic string sets from a builder's standpoint. I mean, the tensions aren't dramatically different from the outer to inner strings, but it is there -- almost parabola-like. My question for luthiers is whether this is an element in or factor of the construction and design of the bridge, and thus whether or not shifting to an even-tensioned string set might not potentially screw up the bridge or bracing, particularly in a hand-built guitar that typically is more lightly braced. I know that when I'm building string sets for alternate tunings, I try to stay with string gauges that mimic the tension, string by string, in a traditional .012-.054 set (acknowledging that string tensions do vary slightly between string makers and string types).

Again: Asking out of innocence and eagerness. Go easy on me, you scientific-engineering types. But I'm asking...