View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 PM

I think most of us had some kind of journey one way or the other.

I took it upon myself to play as much electric stuff as I could on the acoustic about 8 or 9 years ago and work on it daily. It took years to find the right guitar to match the expressivity of my Strat or Tele on just acoustic.

The first guitar to let me break through was the Ovation, where the neck let me move fluidly and up to the 15th fret...

I got my J-45 Rosewood 2 years ago and it changed my life. The short scale and responsiveness of Rosewood lets me find endless variations on tone, more than any other guitar I have tried..and believe me, I have not tried enough of them to know better...but..

I do Purple Haze, long country solos, some Satriani, tons of rock, metal, and what earns for me is just the country, but they love my left hand.

So you can crossover a ton if you find the right guitar. Guitars which did not lend themselves to electric style are;

a. Martins
b. Taylors
c. Larrivees
d. Japanese Brands

Its in the neck radius and shape, and the tonal pallete. Now that they are making J45 cutaways that might be something to try.

Just a different kind of reply to think about. Emulate electric speed, emotion, power, tonal pallette on an acoustic. It is a road less travelled. Not ONE youtube video on this. Acoustic rock is just strumming for most. Acoustic solo lead work with vamping one's own backup....thats a niche that not many live inside, it has taken me a long time...