Thread: MIJ Strat
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
This has always baffled me because the pickup specs on MIJ Fenders from the mid-80's were always closer to Leo's own than anything put out by CBS.
That said, output specs on Fender pickups during the Leo Fender years tended to be all over the map... as long as they fell within plus or minus 10% of a given DC resistance value. CBS, to their credit, standardized their pickup outputs... but at a value anywhere from 1000 to 1500 Ohms lower than what Leo achieved. Hence, the bugaboo about CBS-era Fenders. When Bill Smith and the employees bought the company back from CBS, they got everything except the factory, so they licensed the production of Fender guitars to a couple of Japanese firms for a couple of years, while they sought new manufacturing space. The Japanese, in their mania for making exact copies, made guitars whose pickups were closer to Leo's old specs than the ones used by CBS.
Thanks. After cleaning the pots and the 5 way switch I was (am) quite impressed with the way it sounds. The day may come when I'm looking for a different "sound", but I am going to leave things as is for now.