View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 12:44 PM

My stepfather was Leslie Kong, a Jamaican record producer whose artists included Millie Small, Desmond Dekker, Toots Hibbert (Toots and the Maytals), Jimmy Cliff, and Bob Marley (Bob Marley and the Wailers).

Paul Simon called my stepfather and arranged to come down to Kingston to record some local musicians for an authentic reggae sound (for "Mother and Child Reunion", I think). So we met Paul and his entourage at the airport (the doorknobs at customs almost didn't let him in; he looked pretty scruffy in jeans and t-shirt, and he couldn't remember the name of his hotel) and took him to the hotel, which was where I had my cosmic guitar experience. I remember Roy Halee (sp?), who produced some of Blood, Sweat and Tears, came with him, but I can't remember who else.

I missed out when the Stones came to Kingston; I was back in Canada. My mom was the lucky one who hung out with them at the studio. But she managed to get them to autograph an album for me (Sticky Fingers - Keith Richards signed it "Y-fronts Inc. Keith Richards" on the underwear inside the zipper).