View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayoud View Post
I don't know how Martin reinforces and manufactures its necks made with Spanish Cedar, but would you walk away from such a guitar and feel safer with a Mahogany neck ?

This is one of those subjects that drives me nuts: you've hit an artery.

Most of the major manufacturers have lifetime warranties on their guitars. If I bought, for example, a Martin guitar, I don't give a $^&( how it was made or of what it is made. All I'd care about is that I like how it played and sounded and felt. The warranty will take care of any faults in their design, their manufacturing and their choice of materials. One buys a Martin guitar because of their expertise (and fame) in making guitars. Why would I want to micro-manage them having recognized them as experts in making guitars? If they aren't experts, why would I buy one from them? It's circular: either they are experts who can select materials adequate for the task - and I don't need to tell them how to do it - or they aren't, in which case, why would I buy one of their instruments?

When you buy a car, will you not buy a specific model/manufacturer because it uses a specific aluminum alloy for its engine block? (Yes, I know, there are many who would say, "Yes".)

To answer your question directly, no, it wouldn't matter to me what wood the neck was made from, or how it was reinforced, provided I liked it aesthetically. The only place I would draw the line, on a new instrument, is that it would have to have an adjustable truss rod.