View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

After Aaron wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith
My experience building Strats and Teles from parts has shown me that the neck's mechanical properties have a HUGE affect on the guitar's tone. With electric guitars, I believe that effect is at least as big as the choice of pickups. I would imagine this also makes a profound difference to the sound of acoustic guitars.
Laurent replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
I totally concur with you on the effect of neck material and dimension on a Fender style guitar. I suppose that a solid body has such a limited acoustic power output that the neck plays at least equal role with the body.

However, it is much less obvious on an acoustic. I've used a handful of different woods for necks and fretboards and the tonal contribution is much more subtle.
That's been my experience. There's some tonal effect from the neck on acoustic guitars, but it's nowhere nearly as important as on a solid body electric.

Same thing with tuning gears. What tuners you put on may or may not have a noticeable effect on an acoustic guitar, but on an electric even a slight difference in the mass of the tuners will have an impact on the tone.

whm