View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Like some of the others on here, I have one of these low-end Taylors, a 110, and it was fine before I got it set up, but after all the adjustments (including a slight neck adjustment, a custom saddle, and new, better tuning machines), I'm very pleased with the result. The type and tension of the strings I use definitely makes a huge difference in playability and sound, so you might have the most luck trying a variety of options there. But if the action is too high for you, and the use of lighter strings doesn't help, I'd consider installing or having someone else install a different saddle (or if you're a DIYer, you might be able to sand the bottom down on the stock saddle). I wasn't thrilled with the tusq saddle that comes standard on these, so I took advantage of the switcheroo and put a bone saddle in, with what I consider to be pretty positive results, soundwise. A new nut might also let you tweak the action, if you're really ambitious. But in the end, I'd agree with most of what's been said on here by other posters - if you have the time and patience to deal with it, you may be able to get a lot more out of your current 214 than you would by spending a lot more money on the next model line up the cost-chain.

Good luck with this, I hope you end up with exactly the right instrument for you!