View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
It is a 12" speaker, right? you can get a very good used one over on The Gear Page (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/) for $50-75. It would most likely be money well spent. If you want the amp to have more clean head room try replacing the 12AX7's in V1 and V2 (furthest from output tubes) with 12AY7's of 12AT7's. These are lower gain versions of the 12AX7 and can make quite a difference. V1 is most important as that is your primary gain stage. The third 12AX7 is your Phase Inverter and has minimal impact on the gain/tone. You can even try just removing the 12AX7 from V2. The amp will still work fine, but may have a bit more clean headroom.

Good Luck.............
Nice info, thanks Russ.

Ok just took a better look at the amp. So I found a pencil in it, oops!! This seemed to be the major vibration happening.

It's still quite farty when turned up, to my ear, it seems to be coming from the speaker. I can't see any visible problems with the speaker itself, but I dont really know what I'm looking for.

I'll try the tube thing, and look around for a new speaker and then repost again. Thanks!!
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03