View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Default I'll try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
doctrane,

I think the main thing you're hearing is the shimmer from two nominally unison strings beating together as their pitch moves from perfectly consonant to slightly apart.

One of my favorite songs ends a beginning section and then ends the piece on the same little figure. It's involves thumbing an open fifth string (A) on the first beat of the measure which is a whole note. Then with the fingers you alternate the third string, fifth fret (C) and open second string (B) as eighth notes before ending on the fourth string, seventh fret (A) which is an octave with the lower A that's still ringing down on the A-string.

If you put a little arm or wrist vibrato on that fretted A it beats with the last little dying bit of open A below it and provides the sweetest, cute little ending for the song. Or at least to my ears it does.

I'll try that >> and
I'm referring to let's say, when you play open high e string and stop it and you still hear ringing >> that's actually the low e string vibrating, and if you touch it, you'll feel it and that will stop the sound. If I play a on the high e, it resonates the a string. If let's say I move to a b, then there's no shimmer. My strings might be wrong, but the overall thing is to find a string that when you passively hold it, it creates a node that induces vibration. Well I try or will try to remember that fingering so I can induce that effect on any note, any fret, whereever possible... Something like that.

and my question was perhaps what these fingerings might be, etc. Your effect is a welcomed one and I'll try it. Maybe I'll look for that post (Effects on Acoustic Guitars) or should post one if it doesn't exist. There probably are numerous, numerous ones, from harmonic touches (12,5,7, 14th, frets) etc. whatever