View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Of course that comment was to make a point, specifically this one...

One opinion does not constitute consensus, even when that opinion is from an experienced builder. Neither does having done something many times automatically make a person more right than someone who has done a thing fewer times. There are other experienced builders who believe the rabbet cuts and inlay around the edges do affect tone. I noted that in a previous post. I come down on the side of “some effect” not “better or worse”. Regardless, I’m willing to listen to other opinions. I don’t automatically call for cutting off debate as soon as someone weighs in with a response that suits me.
Well...fair enough...apparently Bill Collings and Richard Hoover feel otherwise, alas we haven't heard from as many luthiers as might be nice. But if you look logically at the structure of a guitar out at the edges, and noting that the purfling...pearl, wood, whatever is only about .060 thick, so it doesn't even go all the way down to the linings when the channel is routed out, it is seriously hard to imagine how anything that small is going to make any difference in transmitted vibrational response from the stiffest point on the guitar soundbox...the very edges.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher