View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I don't think that Andy's goal is to build a sterile guitar with very little overtones, but to build one with less opposing ones or off tone ones. The V bracing is an attempt to guide the overtones into ones that are more like the primary one.
That's my take away from the OP's response letter from Andy. But although that goal might not be to "build a sterile guitar" this whole change is trying to fix a "problem" that

1.) Many don't feel exist. I don't mean players deny the acoustic guitars imperfections, but many feel those imperfections are part of what make give the instrument it's unique tonal character.

2.) What exactly is sacrificed in terms of tonal character is still subjective. A clear A-B test of a 2017 X-Braced 914ce to the new 2018 V-Class braced 914ce would give some answers, but Taylor has been careful about putting such comparisons in the spotlight. They left this type of comparison out of the NAMM videos altogether. This also leads to another point

3.) You'll notice in all instance Andy Powers talks up these changes between X-Bracing and V-Class bracing and his goals in terms of taking the guitar closer to (Taylor's idea) of perfection. But what's cleverly missing is quantifiable data. For example, you don't hear Andy say something like "We've measured a 8-12% increase in intonation accuracy". Now that he's putting into context a clear picture of how Taylor has defined "improved intonation with V-Class bracing" we know these measurements were taken. So why is Andy Powers only talking in broad terms about what was measured and not specific measured improvement in numbers? Probably because those percentages are so small it wouldn't help the product sell.

Quote:
What comes to my mind is a twelve string guitar. I think most people can't tell when their 6 string is a tiny bit out of tune, from one string to the next, but if you have one of the strings of a 12 string pair off, it really is obvious. The tones are no farther off than most people play their 6 string, but because the 12 string pairs are SO close, the tones seem to highlight their differences.

Perhaps Andy is trying to keep the top from resonating in harmonics that are a touch out of tune from the fundamental and related frequencies. Or, maybe I have missed his explanation by a wide margin.
What I suspect will happen is that once Taylor's entire lineup has shifted to V-Class bracing, players will find they really like it on certain models and really dislike it on others. Some of us may love it on 12 string guitars but not on 6 string models, etc.. Beyond all the marketing, you can't change the sustain and volume balance without also changing the tonal character of the guitar. Some players will like the change and some won't. Taylor's job is to convince everyone that the change is for the better and that we'll all love it. It's the consumers job to not be gullible and to try and form an objective opinion of their own. When you have other players you respect telling you "this is better" that does hold weight for most of us even if it's not a conscious influence.

Quote:
Could it be that the X bracing was not designed for best possible sound, but easiest way to make the top strong enough for steel strings and still light enough to resonate loud enough ?
I don't think Andy Powers believes that tone was compromised in any way. But be suspicious of anyone who tries to definitively declare the tone of these new guitars as better or worse. Tone quality (in terms of timbre) is subjective.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 03-08-2018 at 10:06 AM.