View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Like everyone has said, it's going to ultimately come down to your guitar and your ears.

That said, I'll give you my opinion/experience anyway.

I prefer Martin SP. Then again, I have mostly Martins. And I do think a lot of folks agree that the Martin guitars and Martin strings are a good match most of the time.

What I didn't like about D'Addario is they had a week long break in period for me where the highs were too shrill and bright. After that first week, they hit a real sweet spot, where they sounded amazing for about a week. Then they started to lose that awesomeness and just went to being OK.

With Martin SP, the break in period is minimal if any. What I hear as soon as I put them on is what I get for pretty much the entire life of the strings. And they sound amazing. And again, I have to stress they sound amazing on MY guitars. They might not do the same on yours. But more about the SP strings. I have had my current set of SP PBs on my D-16GT for almost 2 months, and they really haven't lost any of that perfect sound. I don't play an insane amount, but do I play at least a little bit everyday.

If you like them both equally and can't decide, get what's cheaper. I do think longevity depends on your body chemistry as much as anything. My body chemistry has always been very easy on strings so they last quite a long time for me. Before you commit to a large bulk order of each, why not just try one of each and keep them on until you notice them dying? See which last longer for you.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)