Thread: Modelers
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 07:20 AM

Before this thread fades off to history, I thought I'd update my modeling initiative in case my experience is useful to someone in the future.

To briefly recap, I began experimenting with modelers 15 months ago with a Mustang Micro followed by a Spark 40. The former was good for testing guitars in music stores, while the latter became my major practice tool. In both cases, I used headphones exclusively, and I liked the fact that I could feed in backing tracks via Bluetooth. I'm a one-man band in a guitar store, and no one is the wiser. I also became the world's greatest fan of the Spark. IMHO, there is no better product with which to begin a modeling journey.

I wanted to upgrade this year, because there were a couple of tones that I couldn't quite capture with the Spark. I also wanted to learn more about modeling, because I think it's the future. I began with a Line 6 Pod Go, which was a very nice unit. Unfortunately, mine arrived without a working expression pedal, so I sent it back. On the advice of Jeff McErlain, I got a Fractal FM3. I found it too complex to use and never got anything good out of it, so I sent it back. Instead, I followed Bob Womack's advice and got a Helix LT, which I've had operational for about a month.

• Message #1 is that Line 6 products are a heck of a lot easier to use than Fractal, and Womack's advice should be honored.

The next lesson I learned is that most modelers are "core audio" devices and hooking them to your computer via USB disables your computer's volume controls. Interestingly, the Spark was not such a device, and the USB hookup was a no brainer. But Helix and Fractal are, so USB becomes an unwelcome issue. The USB hookup is highly desirable for playing along with backing tracks, so some kind of work-around is necessary. One solution is to control USB input volume using the modeler's input level controls. Regrettably, these are generally buried deep in one of the Global Settings menus and not very convenient. Another solution is to use the volume control for whatever backing track software you are using. If you use several different types of software, this is a bit of a nuisance.

• Message #2 is that USB is wonderful but brings with it some annoying volume control complications.

The third lesson I learned is that using headphones as the exclusive output device didn't work. This came as a surprise, because it's not true with the Spark. The Spark seems to prefer headphones. But with both the Fractal and the Helix, in spite of the fact that I studied a whole series of training videos on how to optimize tones for headphones, I never got past the sense that I had two FRFR speakers stuck in my brain. So, I got a set of middle-of-the-road studio monitors (Yamaha HS5), and the ambience issue largely went away.

• So, message #3 is that you need monitors. Room ambience is a real thing. It doesn't need to be loud, but it needs to be there.

The fourth lesson was that I needed training...a lot of it. Simply learning what all the knobs and dials do isn't good enough. There's a lot to learn about modeling, and I've had to devote a considerable amount of time to learning it. Using built-in presets isn't helpful, because they're surprisingly terrible. Purchased presets are often no better, because they're not styled for your guitar and monitors. So, like flying an airplane, you're pretty much forced to know what you're doing.

• Message #4 is that you need training, probably hours and hours of it.

Fortunately, good training is available for free. The best trainer I found for learning the basics of the hardware was Scott Uhl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMDE8u1azls). He talks at high speed and doesn't waste your time. Fortunately, YouTube has a pause button, and the Helix is pretty intuitive. Using the HX Edit software makes the whole operation even easier. I picked up the operational details pretty quickly.

The best trainer I found for learning the art of modeling was Jason Sadites, who has an extensive YouTube series on how to create Helix tones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dan5...nPTPM5&index=4). He also has another series entitled "Dialing in..." in which he shows how he goes about creating certain tones. Both are valuable, but I don't recommend doing the second series until you've done the first.

In addition to Uhl and Sadites, there are hundreds of YouTubers who demonstrate their particular favorite tones. Chief among these is John Nathan Cordy, who tends toward the sort of flexible presets a wedding band guitarist might employ. That's a compliment, not an insult. There are also a lot of influencers who create metal tones, which for some reason appear to be favored among modeler users. Don't ask me why.

So, I think I'm on my way. If I'm any example, new modeler users will need to invest a lot of time acquiring competence. But that effort eventually pays off. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been able to construct tones that I couldn't coax out my Spark. What they won't need to invest is a lot of money. I don't have a house filled with amps and pedals. I pretty much have everything in one box. I even have a backpack to carry it!

• So, my final message is that this modeling stuff works and works well. YMMV, of course.