View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Depends what you what to spend and what your goals are. If you want to get top quality recordings, I would forego the cheap and just save up to buy good stuff and buy once. In that case I would suggest a Metric Halo ULN-2 (if you have a Mac), and a pair of Neumann KM-184s. Metric-Halo makes some of the best interfaces in the business - and aren't well known in the home recording circles because they are so geared towards high-end professionals...and the KM-184s are just great on guitar.

If you just want to get something cheap & serviceable: the m-audio or lexicon would be fine with a Rode or maybe a pair of Oktava MC-12s.

I think the lexicon & m-audio interfaces come with Cubase or something similar...but you may want to look at other options. I'm a big fan of Digital Performer. I've heard good things from those who use Logic...but they mostly praise the MIDI sequencing & virtual instrument aspects. I've heard Logic can be a bit of a dog in the audio editing department.

I used to have a ProTools TDM system, but got tired of being Digidesign's b*tch, having to cough up big money for updates that were always way behind my systems updates and left me holding onto older OS revisions with potential security flaws and putting up with their draconian end user philosophy. Also, unless you go TDM/HD the Pro Tools LE stuff is overpriced and you end up married to very mediocre hardware.

So - that's my $0.02...for what it's worth

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele