View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sixfir...

The main benefit to my guitars when I switched dual source systems from the Lloyd Baggs Dual source with an LB-6 saddle to the K&K dual source (under bridge plate pickup and internal mic) was restoring the original acoustic tone of the guitar when played in the room instead of a PA system/amp.

I didn't realize how much it had robbed from my guitar. The LB-6 saddle is a brass blank with 6 piezos embedded in it, topped with Micarta (man made saddle material), and it is a great acoustic electric pickup.

When I had the Baggs system removed from my guitar, a bone saddle custom made for it, and the K&K installed, the improvement to my acoustic tone was immediately apparent to me, and to my gigging partner (who frequently plays my guitar) and a couple guests who drop in to play my guitars and drink coffee. I said nothing, and they all commented on how much better it sounded.

I was shocked at the pile of 'stuff' laying on the luthier's bench that had been removed from my guitar, and took it home and weighed it on my coffee roasting scales - and it was over 6 ounces of gear which came out of the inside of my guitar. It was replaced with under 2 ounces of pickup/mic.

I was caught off guard when the tone improved so much. The guitar already sounded so good, I didn't think it could improve. I was wrong...

I think undersaddle pickups, specifically the LB-6 or the element flattened/crushed coaxial style undersaddle pickups, rob acoustic tone from an instrument. These both have a dampening effect on the acoustic tone of a guitar.

I don't find the same to be true of the Sound Board Transducers (K&K Pure Mini, Feather, PUTW etc).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…