View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Really nice. I always enjoy your covers and I like this song, too. I'm not sure I understand your comment here. The phrase "suffer for your sanity" generally means that one suffered a great deal in trying to hold on to sanity but most likely found it too difficult. That seems consistent with reality to me. But, either way, very nice version. Thank you for sharing.
Hi SunnyDee,

Thank you for your comments and for listening! I'm glad you enjoyed this.

And your interpretation of Don McLean's lyrics might well be correct. I did a google search and the results turned up something very similar to your interpretation: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5075645AAky6i5

I was taking the English language fairly literally, where the word, "for" is a substitute for the word, "because." In that case, he would have been suffering because of his insanity, rather than suffering because of his sanity. I suppose that's the problem with language; it can be rather inexact, and the meaning can change for people in different parts of the country, let alone from one country to another.

Either way, I used Don McLean's words for the song, even if I was unsure about his language usage. So I guess I was at least safe there. I should have probably done a google search on that term "suffer for your sanity" first.

- Glenn