Thread: Arm carve/Bevel
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
My newest guitar has one. I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
In the custom section, it looks like the trend is slightly smaller bevels, I like that look. But yes, a bevel is awesome. I have a Joel Stehr dread that also has a rib bevel. That is also super comfy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Arm bevels are a great idea and really take away the discomfort of the edge digging into your arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I doubt that the difference in surface area of the top caused by the bevel would make that much difference in tone that is perceptible to the human ear. The trade off in player comfort however is quite significant ajd once u have gotten used to it, it is difficult to do without it. However one solution that is supposed to give you the bevel and maintains the total playing surface of the top and on top of that keeps your arm off the top so as not to suppress any of the sound, is the Abel Armrest. I will be buying one and will report on its performance.
Have to agree with you guys!

Like gitarro said, it was the digging into my arm on some other acoustics that I tried that really gave me discomfort and made playing acoustic guitar not very frequent.

I have been playing 40 years and 95% of time it's my electric guitars. I probably have owned over 50 very in the past. I still have 11 as well as my one and only first real acoustic (a
Suzuki) I got in the late 70's.

This R Taylor has been a total eye opener as I really knew very little about current acoustics/brands and certainly did not know about arm bevels.

Now my time playing has flipped to 90% acoustic and 10% electric because I am enjoying this guitar so much. While I don't feel the need for another acoustic, I'd love a dreadnaught with a big fat, robust tone and projection next. One thing is for sure, it must have an arm bevel.