Thread: Why cheap?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM

The reason I would get a cheap nylon guitar is because I know I would only play it occasionally, and it would just be sort of a side project. I'm not very into nylon guitars, and I know a lot of other steel stringed players sort of feel the same way. Also because I don't play nylon stringed guitars much, it's a lot harder for me to tell the difference between a good nylon and a bad nylon. If you blindfold me and play a gibson and an epiphone side to side I'd be able to tell the difference, but for nylon guitars, I probably couldn't.

I think it's a smart way to approach it, start small (on the wallet) if you like it upgrade. Besides when you buy your first nylon string guitar you don't know what you like/dislike about them. Same with your first steel string acoustic, it's just a guess. If I had to buy my first acoustic guitar again with $500 I wouldn't pick an EJ-160e again. I'd buy a used Yamaha or Guild for sure. That said, I do like my EJ-160e a lot still and play it daily, but you play and you learn.
2011 Guild M120E