View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muonlepton View Post
Hi, first post here. I'm somewhat of a beginner player. I've got a pretty cheap (~$100, it reads Montana MT104-N) acoustic guitar that I've been messing around for some time. I play mostly finger-style...I usually download some random tabs (some really easy solos) online and try them. I just love how nice the acoustic guitar sounds.

I've searched around and found that the supposedly "good" guitars cost about $200-300. I am thinking of buying one but am kind of hesitant. How much difference would a good guitar make, really? I don't play that often and think that my guitar already sounds kind of nice. Would a good guitar be easier to play on as well? would my learning progress better?
I hesitated at the price ranges you are talking about. I can say that I played for 15 years on the same as your price range guitar and was satisfied but wanting something that sounded better and played easier. I did not know what I was missing nor how much I was fighting my instrument instead of learning to play.

Buy the best you can afford and play it, you get what you pay for. You will progress quicker if you are serious on a "better" instrument. If you can go to a guitar store and tell the difference between the "store brand in 1xx-2xx prices to 5xx-1xxx price guitars you can answer your own question.

Jerry