View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpprynn View Post
My approach:

1. Walk around the room cursing not being able to find either of my stringwinders.
2. Take breaths as heart begins to race when make-do pliers are held above cedar top with thin finish.
3. Begin cursing as nut falls off revealing haphazard glue and the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to keep the glue between fretboard ede and nut where it's more easily cleaned off.
4. A week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy my Rotosounds.
5. On the way back from the sink, or faucet, a week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy me.
6. Stab fingers with E and B string ends.
7. Trip to sink/ faucet
8. Curse downstairs' dog, who has started to bark because of my footsteps.
8b. Curse dogs on bottom floor, who have started to bark to their comrade.
8c. Curse dogs across the street, who have sniffed revolution.
9. Briefly consider vampire career at the delicious smell of blood running down the headstock and nut.
10. Tune up to Eb standard, to what I assume is still Eb on another guitar in chemically unstable home. (Transpires later to be blue note between C and C#.)
11. Play a few chords and single notes. Curse slightly disappointing strings while ignoring meekness of picking, price of guitar, and general neurotically over-communitarian approach to guitar playing while living in cheap flats.
12. Run through my reportoire - 50% own doodles, 50% Neil Young. Taxing.
13. Forget to clean strings.
14. Begin wondering about taking a hair or two off the saddle height.
15. Saddle and strings ruined. Loop back to 1.

It works for me anyway.
GREAT! The important thing is that you have a system.

Mine is less frustrating, involving Guitar Center and $20.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)