View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
A LOT of amps can do similar tones of the supersonic at lower wattage and at a much lower price. The best, affordable, low wattage 2 channel tube amp that provides great cleans and excellent distortion sounds is the Blackstar HT-5R

The Blackstar HT-1R is also excellent sounding, but only one watt. Great cleans and dirt. There are many, many other amps that can do the tones you speak of. Some at low volume and some at ear-bleed levels.

I used to be a die-hard, tube only fanatic (I've been playing Blues harp for 25 years and have had dozens of tube amps). I have since come to appreciate modeling amps, especially for guitar. The Katana 50 is worth a look IMO.

You need to do some 1st hand investigating to know if you want a 2-3 channel tube amp, a tube amp and a pedal or two or go the modeling route. Even most avid music fans have a hard time telling if an amp is a 100 watt amp driving a full sized 4 X 10" or a modeling amp with an emulated speaker out into a pa. The new stuff being made is actually pretty incredible.
+1 for the Katana series. I have the 100w head, which as crazy as it sounds is great for home use because it has a built in 5" speaker and settings for .5 watt, 50 watts, and full blown 100 watts. I also have the Katana mini which us incredible considering u can run off 6 AA batteries! I do have a Sonic Pipe 18 watt tube amp for my tube needs/wants, but the Katanas are really good!

Todd in Chicago

Edit: In order to get anywhere near distortion on my tube amp (even though I can set it to 1/2 power, 9 watts), I need to use my Weber mini-mass attenuator, otherwise simply too loud.

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 08-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.