View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlander View Post
man.. your sound is just amazing! is the TV so much different then regular?
cuz the TV is a bit too expensive for me, i'm thinking of going for a used j-45 or j-50 modern classic.
btw, what strings are you using there?
I have a 5-star Gibson dealer in my town and they stock a lot of Gibsons. Based on my experiences over the years, you just have to play all of the guitars to determine which one sounds the best. On some visits, it's been a TV model that caught my ear, other times a standard model put the rest to shame. In other words, there are no guarantees just because of the model designation.

I'm using D'Addario EJ17s (PB mediums).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlander View Post
is it true that the TV has a different less glossy finish then the regular j-45?
The newer TVs have the "relic'd" finish. The older ones like mine had a glossy finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
Gibson is making some great guitars right now in Bozeman, but to my ears you just cant replicate that honky tonk, woody tone of a 50 year old Gibson with a new specimen. The TVs' give it a really good shot, but no cigar IMO.

Case in point below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQlCZ...layer_embedded
In general that is true, but I've found quite a few older Gibsons that did nothing for me (and I love Gibsons) - they sound rubber-like instead of woody (just like some of the newer ones). As is typical with Gibson, nothing is guaranteed, except perhaps that they consistently do a great sunburst. It all comes down to the individual guitar and our individual preferences. The example you shared is lacking that real dry, woody articulation in the low end for my preferences, but I'm sure others dig it.

As zumaboy says "I've played a lot of J-45s, and it just depends..." — took the words right out of my mouth.