View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Default How Do You Handle The Medical "Second Opinion?"

I know that sounds like kind of a goofy question and maybe it is, but I was just wondering what my buds here at OM would have to say about it. I'm going in for a second opinion next week for a medical condition that could involve surgery. Nothing life threatening thank God, but serious enough for me to be curious enough to ask for a second opinion. My question relates to "tactics" so to speak. I was mulling it over and thought well maybe I shouldn't say anything to the second doc about the opinion of the first doc because that could possibly "taint" the opinion of the second doc, that he might possibly be influenced by the first diagnosis and treatment recommendation. Maybe the second doc wouldn't want to challenge the medical opinion of the first doc and would just go along to get along so to speak. The first doc is V.A., the second doc is outside the VA so he couldn't pull anything up on my unless I told him about my first visit to the V.A. and gave him my permission to access my V.A. medical records. Geez, all of the sudden I'm feeling kinda of sneaky about this. I don't know, what do you think? "Fess up or shut up?