View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
I don't know if it's going to be possible. you probably know much more than i do. correct me if I'm wrong, but for private companies I think these figures are provided by the companies themselves, and thru the use of extensive legalese or provisioning, aren't they kind of able to report anything they like (within reason)? the vague ranges would make any estimates based upon them be rather wild.
enalnitram - if we wanted to calculate the enterprise value of Taylor using discounted cash flows, we would need much more information (like sales, operating profits, expenses, overhead, depreciation, taxes, etc).

However, if we have limited information as we do now, we could look at precedent transactions of similar companies that have been bought out and obtain a range. We could also do an average weight of that with current, public comparable companies (not many).

If I had all this information I would have a blast valuating Taylor [yes, I am a nerd].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of market share that Taylor and Marin have but I haven't been able to find any figures on that. I believe Taylor has the dominant market share in for the acoustic-electric guitar category based on what Listug said in his Wood & Steel column last year.

I also read that the Taylor T5, despite being on the market for a compartively short amount of time, already outsells the ES-335.
HH - that's interesting and I can actually believe that. Do you remember where you saw that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyver View Post
Taylor guitars recently started appearing in the local shops here in Slovenia.
Yep, makes sense. Taylor expanded operations based in Amsterdam at the beginning of this year. They also highlight their European warranty on their website this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I believe GE Capital provides financing for purchasers of Taylor guitars and may provide financing for dealers but, if I'm not mistaken, Taylor Guitars has no debt.
HH - I think that is accurate, and them not having any debt is plausible. They have bee in operations for more than 3 decades.

I think they're going to continue to grow in the next few years. From the analysis that I read about the Music Instruments industry, it looks promising (despite the used instruments market, which I thought would have a bigger impact on the companies).