View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

I thought I'd updated in here more recently, but guess not.
While routing the top and back, the router bit dropped down about another 3/8" past where the binding should had been. Not sure if it was the collet or my not locking it down tight enough. At any rate, it ruined the sides.
I cussed, threw everything but the guitar, and then lost it in frustration. Man was that the worst time ever?
I cut the top and back off, trying to salvage them. But when I got new sides, even though I used the same mold set the same way (it's adjustable, but hadn't been touched since I pulled the box out the first time), the top just wouldn't make it. Too much gone, since I'd routed for purfling before the binding. The back was saved. So I also got a new top, with the same rosette. And it looks very good.

Sunday I glued on the back:

And this evening, put on the top:

The top didn't need the clamps on either end, the rubber bands got good contact, and the top was flush all the way around. I just did it to insure the blocks at both ends were totally in contact.
I'm bought a brand new bit, will tighten it down solidly, and practice on scrap until I'm sure it won't move. Then I'll cut the binding and purfling channels.
The back did have 1 spot where it would leave a very tiny gap if I just use the binding, so I ordered some bloodwood purfling strips. W/Bloodwood/W on the back, along with W/Bloodwood/W/Bloodwood on the top (previously it was going to be red. But bloodwood is a them on this, with the headstock, inner stripe on the back of the neck, binding on the fretboard, etc.
Hopefully, if I go slow, and watch very closely, I will succeed with this.
I wonder how easy it is to work with one of these:
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...hneider+Gramil
Has anyone any experience with one? Any tips on how to use it?
Much appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 10-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.