View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
And there will also be compression to the top .
With the strings breaking over the top of the bridge before reaching the saddle , there will also be a downward force at that contact point . That contact point is rearward of the saddle and will serve to counter the torque that you refer to .
With a properly shaped saddle , the torsional force will be minimized as well as providing some downward force .
With a pinless bridge as I am doing it , there is no upward force to the rear of the saddle on the bridge as is with pins . Since the conventional pins are anchored in the bridge , the strings , from below are leveraging the bridge upwards and away from the top wood .
As I am doing it , the upward force is transmitted through the top towards the bottom of the bridge , but not pulling upwards on the bridge itself . Thus , torque on the bridge itself in greatly minimized and nearly eliminated or , in the least , balanced .
I can only wonder if I am relating what I am trying to say clearly .
The shape of the saddle has little to do with it. The torque is produced by saddle height. The strings pulled at an angle produces two forces. Parallel to the top and at a right angle to the top. At some point at the bottom of the bridge these two will cause a rotational torque.

Got to this page of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
...As I am doing a pinless bridge , the vertical force/stress is spread across the entire bridge plate . Glue shear is virtually eliminated as the top is sandwiched between 2 objects that are trying to meet each other .
Point being that I am NOT anchoring the strings to any point of the bridge . They simply pass through it and over it .
So you are anchoring the stings at the bottom of a plate underneath the top. So really a pined arrangement but at a shallower angle I suppose. Hard to be sure without a diagram.