View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Received mine via Sweetwater a couple hours ago and I am very, very impressed. I've owned three GS Mini's in the last few years and this one is a significant improvement in just about every way, but most importantly in the sound. It is surprisingly resonant with above average sustain and way louder than it should be for its size. The neck profile is a bit deeper than I like but I'll live with that because of its other attributes. The pick-up sounds very good through my Carvin AG300 too. I did change out the strings almost immediately to my favorites (Martin Clapton's Choice lt. gauge) and I had a set of bone pins sitting around that I used to replace the plastic ones and those things further improved the sound. I am dead sure Martin has a BIG winner with this guitar at this price point. No, it does not sound as good as my 000-18 or certainly not as loud as my J-45, but hey, for 1/3 the cost, no complaints!
Congrats and glad you're another happy customer! I did forget to mention in the OP that I too will be changing out the strings...most likely to John Pearse 700M (phosphor bronze mediums). It comes stock with Martin SP Lifespans, and although I understand why they ship from the factory with them, I've yet to find a coated string that sounded as good as a comparable un-coated string. Given how nice it sounds with the Lifespans, I'm anticipating it will shine even more with the JP's!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia