View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLEHEAD617 View Post
with all the discussion of laminate, the difference is a plywwod vice laminate process. lamination as i understand it is the process of binding a not so nice SOLID WOOD to another nicer piece of SOLID WOOD. much different than the plywood really cheap but competatively priced knockoff childrens guitars. there are a wide choice at the poorer guitar shops of cheap guitars that have no redeeming qualities and the lower end of the better makers like alvarez, yamaha, even the martins,gibsons and taylors. it all comes down for me, does the instrument speak to you. If it does and makes you want to hear it, then own it until the need for something better arrives.
Laminate can be a lot of things. It can be like Seagull who laminates 3 pieces of wild cherry together, or it can be a layer of rosewood laminated to a piece of pine. It's really difficult to find out which process each manufacturer uses.

But my common sense tells me a couple things.

If they laminated 3 pieces of the same wood together, they will tell you this.

Guitars that sell for less than 3 or 4 hundred dollars and are built in China, they use a filler wood. Maybe most of them do, I don't know.

Laminate is the process of joining layers of wood. The type of wood is irrelevant