View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Changing the bridge & saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgitplayer View Post
I have an Aria acoustic that I bought in 1968. It became pretty road worn in its day and I have recently removed the scratch plate (which was very ugly), bridge & saddle, nut and tuners to refinish the woodwork.

I have replaced the plastic nut with a bone nut and replaced the tuners. I bought a replacement rosewood bridge with compensated bone saddle, but am now uncertain whether or not I should proceed.

The original bridge and adjustable saddle are rosewood. They are the same as an early Gibson bridge. Obviously the early Japanese guitar makers knew what they were doing and the guitar has a particular tone of its own. I have however forgotten what it sounds like as it has been in in dry dock for about 4 years now and I currently play a D28.

It was a cheap guitar originally with plywood back and sides, but it has sentimental value, so that's why I'm working on it (and learning a few skills as I go).

Does anyone have experience with these old adjustable rosewood saddles? The question is: Should I keep it or replace it with the new rosewood bridge with bone saddle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Funny, right now I’m visiting a guitar tech that’s gonna work on the adjustable saddle on my 1970’s Japanese guitar. She sounds really good even with that horrible adjustable saddle so I can’t wait to hear the difference! He said he can fit a big bone saddle and fill up and polish the existing bridge. He quoted me $100 for the work and setup which I think it’s very reasonable. That puts the grand total of this guitar at $240 which that makes it a keeper since I doubt I’ll be able to sell her for anywhere near that much.