View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Speaking of Edwina ... I'd be a lot more concerned with controlling feedback than the price of the Chinese capsule.

Interestingly enough, although I bought Edwina to be my live mic, that didn't really work out due to my inexperience; what has worked out is using her as a studio mic and as a practice mic through phones. You can really hear what you're playing and singing in such a setup and make appropriate corrections. Cause what Edwina's really, really good at is combining voices and guitars. This would be true if the capsule costs 20 dollars or 2000 dollars.

The other thing she's really, really good at is being just plain fun. When you have fun, you play better and you relax more. She reminds me of one of those mojo cheapo guitars like Harmony/Stella/Airline -- if you find yourself playing a good one, even though the sound isn't as technically advanced as a Lowden, for instance, you might very well enjoy playing the Stella more for certain songs than the Lowden.

Anyhow, whether you use her live or in the studio, she's a fun gal to have around!
Well... If you are more interested in fun and looks and don't care about diference in audio quality go ahead and buy an edwina where you are paying 400+ just for fun and looks.

If your more interested in sound quality and getting much more bang for the buck go with the sm81.

Here is a fair comparison of the two... Similar position, same room, 40's d-18 flatpicked:

Much more detail coming from the sm81. The edwina seems to be lacking something.

I'm also interested in mic'ing for live and was interested in both until I discovered the part about the chinese capsules and the complaints about noise issues.

Just didn't pulled the trigger yet because I don't know if I can just plug-in in whatever amp is available (even vocal/electric guitar amp) and if I'll need more than an ART tube M for these situations.