View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The DR40 will supply phantom power if necessary, and since it takes three batteries it doesn't drain battery life super fast, but will drain batteries faster.

A tube preamp, like an ART MP will warm up the sound of any mic and will provide phantom power as well. For $39 it's a must if you're getting into recording. Of course this is an entry level preamp and many people will suggest thousand dollar models, but it's a good entry level preamp for the money, and it's cool to try different tubes and experiment with tone.

Glad to see you realize how much recording can help improve playing.

One final thing: don't skimp on mic cables. Try to get one with Neutrik connectors. They will cost more, but in my experience, the $10 cheapo cables quit working after a few short uses.
I worry about that Tascam really providing enough phantom power. And typically you would record an acoustic guitar with a condensor mic.

And the Art Preamp will work, but if you already have a computer, maybe get something like a Focusrite Scarlet solo. $99.

I just would wonder about getting a cheap preamp, when you may already be transferring your recordings from the Tascam to a computer, editing there.

The Tascams and similar are nice for live recording in my opinion, but it is so much easier and better quality to a degree to go straight through a decent interface like the Focusrite, which has ample phantom power.