View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElipse View Post
Firstly I'd like to introduce myself as I am brand new to this forum, and there really isn't a place to for people to introduce themselves. I am an acoustic guitar player and have been playing on and off for 9 years. Hello everyone!
Howdy.

Quote:
I have a few questions and rather than spam the forum creating a thread for each one I thought I'd ask them all at once, although they are not necessarily related to one another.
You can start as many threads as you like, and it can actually be a good idea when asking a specific question, as many folks won't read long posts but will read and respond to brief ones.

Of course, this is fine, too. But if you don't get as much information as you'd like with this long post, try asking specific questions in threads dedicated to just that question.

Quote:
1)I have a Taylor 150e 12string guitar, it is currently equipped with the stock Elixer strings, which I don't have a problem with as long as they are the nano web NOT the poly web, they really do last a long time. Taylor says that I should only put on 80/20 light gauge strings (10-xx) but I want to try out phosphor bronze, the problem is the 12 string phosphor bronze light gauge are (12-xx) are these fine to put on my guitar without readjustment?
You can put any brand or alloy string you want on that guitar, you just want to keep an eye on string tension. Now, phosphor bronze strings typically DO generate slightly more tension than 80/20 bronze strings, but I doubt it would be enough extra tension to damage anything, so long as you're not replacing 80/20 lights with a heavier gauge.

Okay, I just went back and re-read your question. The Elixir phosphors you're talking about are a bit heavier.

Something you might consider is using the phosphors but tuning the guitar down a half step or full step - in other words, either from Eb to Eb or D to D.

I prefer to keep my 12 string tuned D to D because on a 12 string I just like the tone down there better. It's easier on the guitar, as well.

Quote:
Should I try to find the extra light gauge which are quite difficult for me to locate for the right price but do start at gauge 10.
Try them if you want, but by all means experiment with different alloys and brands, too.

Quote:
2)Should I be using a guitar humidifier/moisture absorbant?
It depends on how dry or humid the climate is where you live, but unless you're in a rainy place like San Francisco, anywhere else in California it's probably a good idea.

Quote:
3)Do you guys know any techniques specific to 12 string guitar, like people or lessons about things that can only be done on a 12 string guitar. I once read about only plucking one of the doubled strings instead of both to get the notes of a specific octave and playing with this idea, but I can't remember where I read it or any songs that do this
I do that occasionally on my 12 string and the guitar I converted to an 8 string, with octave courses on the D and G strings. But on both those instruments I have the strings in the "Rickenbacker stringing," whihc has the low octave strings uppermost in each pair instead of below. It's a lot harder to just play one string by itself on the fly when the high octave string is uppermost (which is one reason I prefer the Rickenbacker stringing.)

Quote:
4) What do we think of red bear picks? I personally notice a huge difference in tone and haven't had any issues with them, besides getting them in the first place, but I have heard of a great many breaking.
I don't have any personal experience with those, as I have a strong preference for D'Andrea medium-heavy Classic Celluloid picks for most of my playing and for the Blue Chip TAD-35 for mandolin and baritone guitar. But Red Bear picks have a strong following, the players who use them really seem to like them, and I'm sure someone will chime in on the subject soon enough.

Quote:
5) What are some of the best 6 string guitars you can buy with a 3000$ budget?
Oh, man, that would take weeks to discuss all your options there. Martins, of course, Gibsons, but also quite an array of other brands. That's too extensive a subject to just give you a soundbite answer.

Quote:
6) Is it worth it to change out the bridge and nut piece on either the GS mini or 150e to bone?
The saddle, perhaps. I do have bone nuts on most of my guitars but I'm not sure if you'd get enough benefits with either tone or durability to make it worth doing on those guitars.

The saddle is where the energy generated by the strings transfers directly to the top via the bridge saddle. So anything you change there will have a profound influence on how the guitar sounds.

I have heard a before and after difference when I've changed out factory stock synthetic nuts for bone, but it's far more subtle. You definitely don't get as much for your money when you replace a synthetic nut with bone as when you swap a plastic saddle for bone.

Quote:
7) What are some things that you guys think are essential for any acoustic guitar player to know? I know this question is vague, but some of you probably have some philosophies of your own that you feel everyone needs to know.
Wash your hands before you play, and don't go jumping in the sack with just any old dirtyleg gal who gets friendly when you're playing in a bar. Use some discretion there...

Other than that, nothing immediately springs to mind.

Welcome the the Acoustic Guitar Forum, Elipse. Nice to have you join us.

Quote:
Obvously answering all of these questions is not necessary, I just didn't want to spam the forum when I just started out and have so many questions, I am sure I didn't even ask them all.
Let's get one thing straight: starting threads and asking questions is not "spamming the forum," not unless you're shilling for some company and trying to sell us something without being straightforward about it. I see zero evidence that that's the case with you, so don't worry about it. Ask as many questions as you like.

Wade Hampton Miller