View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Best dual source pickup I own is what Australian guitarists have known for years (including the leading bender, TE) - the Maton AP5-Pro. (but the guitar has a hole in the side......). I had heard people say that the only catch is that you have to buy a Maton! Oblivious to all this because I would never have bought a Maton after playing friends' old beater models with strings 50 years old and setup - none ever, until I spied the Maton SRS808 (wide body) using the same woods as my Lowden S35 - Tasmanian Blackwood and Cedar top and it had to be mine! And then I plugged it in later.....OK, they were right - the pickup is fabulous!!!!! Piezo for each string and a condenser mic, and the love/hate part - the preamp in the side of the guitar. Now it is superb - a vol. control for Piezo and another for the mic, a master vol, eq including the biggy- sweepable mids that work beautifully! To be able to back off the 'oinkk' so easily on the guitar is worth everything!

https://maton.com.au/news/the-journey-to-ap5-pro

I have enjoyed experimenting with various pickups and boxes since I played a solo country blues set of 3-5 songs between my electric blues band sets back in the 80s, firstly with the only mic I owned - some kind of Ibanez cheapie...and soon after using Shure SM57s. It sounded superb at a small club, better than the too loud band really and went over very well....but in bigger louder places, that same lovely SM57 picked up everyone yelling "Play the Doors" or whatever..way, way louder than my guitar.

So...pickups....

I have used all kinds of things but started using Aura boxes not long after they came out, and a few years ago, I bought the Martin D18E Retro with Aura onboard. Fabulous! Plug and play. (but the guitar has a hole in the side......)

I have others, but with my trusty Boss VE8 acoustic guitar/vocal special black box, well....I am NOT going anywhere without that, the Maton or the Martin D18e Aura...and of course the Shure SM58 that the Boss VE8 makes usable again!

Edit...... I forgot to mention that having the AP5-Pro with sep vol/mic controls also enables me to turn off the mic and experiment with running a lead to my Aura Spectrum using just the piezo in the Maton 808...guitar (OO deep body size) sounds good with the Martin 00-18 Aura image I have....could be handy if I get a Tonedexter eventually!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 12-04-2017 at 07:07 PM.