View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM

1. How many mandolins do you own? What kind are they?

I have two, but only play one. I was gifted a sammich starter a-style by my father in law because I was playing with him and his friends and I brought up that we had too many guitars... My second is a big muddy mw-0w, which is a round hole flattop with walnut back and sides. I really love it!!

2. How did you get started playing mandolin?
I was interested in getting proficient on other stringed instruments since everyone plays guitar and I was tired of jams with 4+ guitars.

3. What was your first mandolin? Do you still own it?
Yes, the first mentioned above.

4. What style (or styles) of music do you play on mandolin? Where do you use it? (In a bluegrass band, at church, in a country band, at home strictly for fun, etc.)

I play mostly at home, but sometimes with others. I am a backup player for a singer-songwriter friend who writes her own Christian music and play with my father-in-law and his buddies.

I like roots Americana music and Irish influenced tunes. I am primarily a rhythm player but am looking to learn some lead soloing. I've only played about a year so it is a work in progress... I love the roots/bluegrass/Americana flavored acts like Mumford and sons, the avett brothers, old crow medicine show, and the lumineers. I'm mostly a strummer but I'm in the process of learning proper chop chords.

5. Who are your favorite mandolin players? Do you try to play like them, play any of their compositions, or do you just admire one or more aspects of their playing?

I've admired Sam bush and the like, but lighting fast soloing isn't really what I'm after with mando. I use it as an accompany instrument for my voice and backup others. I can't even name a mando player I really admire because the nickel creek guy just doesn't do it for me.... I think eddie vedder is the guy that peaked my interest in playing with his work on the "into the wild" soundtrack. Anyway, that's about it. great question wade.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle

Last edited by cu4life7; 09-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.