View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

1. How many mandolins do you own? What kind are they?

2. How did you get started playing mandolin?

3. What was your first mandolin? Do you still own it?

4. What style (or styles) of music do you play on mandolin? Where do you use it? (In a bluegrass band, at church, in a country band, at home strictly for fun, etc.)

5. Who are your favorite mandolin players? Do you try to play like them, play any of their compositions, or do you just admire one or more aspects of their playing?

1 and 3. I've owned 2: a no-name brand that I don't even remember the name, and a Kentucky KM-150. I still own the Kentucky mandolin.
2. I just wanted to learn how to play the mando...I guess I was influenced by living in Arkansas.
4 and 5. My style is more rhythm, because I'm a acoustic rhythm guitar player first, gig as a bass player, and play percussion. And I mostly play at home, but occasionally play at church. I've only heard about Chris Thiele, and the guys to who played "Maggie May", and "Losing my Religion", but I'm not familiar with the "mandolin world". I don't consider myself a "mandolinist" per se, but other people like the way I play my mando.
To an actual mandolin player, I'm probably a "hack". I'd like to think created my own style. And as a side note: I'm applying the same principles in learning the banjo.
franchelB: TGF member #57!