View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Humanist

Different people require and/or appreciate a short scale for a variety of reasons. I have chronic arthritis & tendonitis and am now playing exclusively on a 24" scale parlor guitar from Larrivée.

Even my 24.75" custom guitars from Mark Blanchard (which, ahem, are for sale if anyone is interested) were becoming unmanagable to play. The benefits for me are probably about 90% due to closer frets and 10% due to less string tension. Certain chords which challenged my hand/fingers stretch on the 24.75" scale are quite easy on the 24" scale.

I find that DADGAD on the 24" scale is quite managable, as well, despite the reduced string tension...although I do like to have high-ratio Gotohs to help manage the tuning issue at this scale.

The 24" scale is saving a lot of wear and tear on my left elbow and wrist...and none of us are getting any younger!

Cons:

1) Potential for tuning issues in altered/lowered tuning scenarios. You may have to experiment with different string gauges, and I would recommend that you use the newest Gotoh 510 "Delta Series" tuners, which have the 1:21 ratio.

2) If you have large fingers and play way up the neck you may have some cramped finger positions, compared to a standard scale guitar.

3) If you don't effect any string changes, the strings will have less tension. This can be a good or a bad thing. Depending on your right-hand attack you may have to raise the action slightly (compared to your standard scale guitar) because the strings will vibrate in a slightly larger arc, but remember that you won't have to work as hard to fret...based on the same lowered tension. This may be a wash for you...it is for me.

Pros:

1) Ease of playing, in regards to the lower string tension, and also in the slightly closer fret-to-fret distances of the short scale guitar. I have many chord shapes (in DADGAD) that are much less effort with a short scale guitar...and this can all really make a big difference when dealing with chronic tendinitis. Fretting is much easier.

2) For fingerstyle playing, the lowered tension also allows for more expressive playing (with less work!). On a standard scale there is little tonal impact when using standard classical vibrato technique. On a short scale guitar the reduced tension makes this technique more pronounced, tonally. String bends are easier too, if you use this kind of technique in your playing.

3) Breaking strings is much less likely with the reduced tension of a short scale guitar.

There may be more thoughts I would have on this topic, but the above is what comes to mind initially.

Hope this helps...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-11-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: additional thoughts...