View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 AM

jhchang . . . precisely! None of us need these "toys" to survive and if you have the disposable income to afford these luxury items have at it. I got into the mechnical Swiss watch thing a few years ago and I can tell you from first hand experience that market thrives on selling "sizzle not steak". With the exception of a handful of "Old Houses" the majority of Swiss watches use the same Lemania movements with various levels of fit and finish and additions of certain modules for chronographs. The truly "high-end" Swiss watch Houses, those with real horological value, are beyond the means of most of us mere mortals. I'm talking Patek Philippe, A.Lange & Sohne, Audemars Piguet, and Jaeger-LeCoultre. Many of these watches start at $15k and work there way up from there. A few years ago a Patek Philippe 1933 Calatrava sold at auction for $1.3 million! Yes folks we're talking a wrist watch. Anyway, I've always believed if you can afford a toy and it makes you feel good to own it go fo it. I just like doing my homework before taking the plunge.

RocketBoy