View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I have no experience with the Ibanez model.

Among entry-level priced acoustic-electric nylon hybrids, I generally don't expect exceptional acoustic tone so I examine instruments for (a) quality builds and (b) quality electronics. These instruments are meant to be played amplified.

The Ibanez AEG50N at $330 looks like it has a rather basic onboard preamp (volume & "shape" controls only) paired with an under-saddle piezo. It may work well if you have a good amp with built-in equalizer controls.

The lowest-priced Cordoba hybrid is the Fusion 5at $460 with uses the Fishman Sonitone VT. I don't know much about this electronics unit other than that it has two dials (presumably volume and tone) in the soundhole. Like the Ibanez, it may need to be paired with a better amp.

The Yamaha NTX1 is worth a look at $460 as it has a 3-band graphic EQ (with volume control and AMF) paired with an under-saddle piezo.
Thanks for putting the NTX1 on my radar, I haven't yet come across one in the stores but I'll keep looking. The amp at the guitar store was high end, but my impression was that the AEG50N has a decent sound for its class, plugged in or acoustic; good projection, consistency across the fretboard, and a relative lack of problematic overtones. With a proper set up, including a bone saddle and nut, it might could work.