View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Of course, Chuck. Such questions are basic. To start with, I'd like to record acoustic guitar, mostly male vocals, light bass guitar (nothing heavy or very percussive), recorders - the flute predecessor kind, some light percussion, and maybe dulcimer or hammered dulcimer.

For what purpose? That depends on how good they sound. Mostly for myself and a few close friends. Perhaps even with my Facebook friends via Youtube, etc. I rather doubt I'll be doing demos of my songs and arrangements for submission to record labels or publishers, but who knows, maybe later.

Chris, Paul, and Martin Maniac, thanks! More comments would be welcome. I can't be the only one interested in such a major topic that is so little discussed here.

cotten
So to clarify so there is no misunderstanding I was by no means advocating selling your nicer/more expensive guitars to finance monitors. To my mind that would be going backwards.

Also your OP and a few subsequent posts seemed to have been interested in the discussing the theoretical "value of more expensive monitors" so that is what my and some other posts have been addressing.

The criteria I was suggesting about the cost of ones guitars vs the cost of monitors, was #1 very very very general, and more of a thought exercise for self evaluation of thinking priorities, and perspective.

As I said from a perspective basis, many completely understand why they paid the price they did for their guitars, but have a skewed perspective as to how that applies, or simply do not want for that to apply to, recording gear as well. The reality is it does BUT this is where priorities may change that.

Now you bring up a very good point which is if your priority for recording is not equal to your priority for playing and performing then certainly not wanting to spend a like amount is perfectly valid.

I completely understand being on a budget and that obviously has to play into the equation.
Which is why if you look at the history of my posts in the recording forum, what I have repeated ad nauseam is " DECIDE ON A BUDGET RANGE FIRST" then solicit suggestions or go shopping. Because the reality is there is almost always going to be something better and more expensive.

So with all that in mind and in practical terms you can certainly get satisfactory results with the more budget friendly monitors . As has been stated much of that will have to do with experience at learning by doing on those particular monitors .

Now I would offer that given you do wish to record multiple instruments , for that you will benefit from monitors and perhaps headphones in combination . The monitors will give a much more accurate representation of both left to right placement of specific instruments and for a bit better front to back depth of field placement of elements in the mix.
However the suggestion for HeadPhones to augment for the low end that may not be present in budget monitors is also an excellent one.

So if It were me and I did want to definitely start down the path of home recording but I was also not willing to spend a lot money I would consider the more budget based monitors being suggested and a pair of relatively good HP's as well .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1