View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

I remember a thread a few years ago where Ted pointed out that the NS neck is actually thinner at it's center than a Taylor 12 fret neck. However, the NS is clearly perceived as thicker because the profile has broad, slightly boxy, shoulders. While many people like the NS neck, there is significant vocal opposition. So much so that, when I first tried one, I was braced for the worst. Turns out that I didn't mind it at all, but I do understand how some players would find the shoulders to be an obstruction.

So, the real issue isn't center thickness. It's contour. The beauty of an ellipse is that it never gets flat or pointy. The curve is always continuous, and it can be adjusted from a perfect semi-circle to something that is almost flat.

I agree that for perfect optimization, there is no "one size fits all." That's why an ellipse is so attractive, because it's not just one size.

One future optimization, that Alistair is clearly already tapping into, is the ability to make inexpensive custom neck molds that don't reduce quality of the finished product. When ordering a guitar, one could specify neck profile just as easily as a photographer can specify aperture and focal length when purchasing a new lens.