View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m
I'm not a big capo fan. Sometimes they are very useful, and you can get some interesting sounds out of them (especially the open, or cut capos), but I'm a big believer that you shuold be able to pick up the guitar and play in whatever key you want (without retuning or using a capo).
David, you make a good point, and I will agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion to learn at least basic theory.

However, I will note that some chord voicings sound better than others for a given song, or work better within one's playing style. Several years ago I was in a madrigal group that was making a record, and the director asked me to play guitar on one of the pieces. The problem was, the song was in F, and it just wasn't coming together, to my ear or the director's, so I tuned down a whole step and played in "G" instead, and it sounded much better. It was also easier on my non-classical fingers.

The same goes for alternate tunings, if that was your reference at the end of this paragraph. Some songs that never sounded quite right in standard tuning just blossomed once I tried them in DADGAD.