View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
...But this one seems especially difficult. I would like to hear from anyone that might have gone through this struggle... How to reach a note with a pinky while holding a chord, D chord in this case. I've seen this done with other chords as well and I marvel at it whenever I see someone doing that.
Probably the majority of multi-year players here have gone through this and can successfully do that kind of playing out of a D position. It's a very common way to ornament a D chord or play chord-melody out of D.
If your fretting hand has never had a motion-limiting injury, you very likely are perfectly capable of this type of independent pinkie movement also. It's likely that the angle your pinkie and ring finger move apart from each other in your spider exercise is different from the angle they need to be able to move apart in the D chord.
Practicing what you want to play is about as targeted as you can get; it'll probably take a while. Try it up the neck, where the distance to reach is smaller...