View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaGz View Post
Title says it all, I have only tried one and was not fond of it, so I've just grown my nail out ever since. I'd like to give it another shot but would like to make sure I get a quality one. Suggestions?
For just plain volume, those metal ones.. Dunlop I guess.

My fave is the plastic ones. Either one, bend them to fit for comfort and stability. The plastic ones you'll need to heat up with hot water or a light bulb to soften so you canbend it and have it stay once it cools.

The plastic ones have a pretty good sized 'paddle' I regard these plastic ones as 'raw material'. I use a fingernail clipper... actually a toe nail clipper to reduce it's size and file, sand and polish like fingernails to get to the right shape, size and pick cross-section. Make the pick a sharpish pint for more 'snap' to the tone. Rounded for a more melow tone. Cut two points to make it sound like a 12 string... sort of, for the price of a 6.

That's maybe why I like the plastic ones... Dunlop I guess.. better. The metal ones are hard to re-work. You have to play with the size they give you.

"Epi" FT145-SB 1970-ish
"Stella" Harmony Stella
"Jean" not so old Yamaha FG something or other
"Tillie", Short for "Otilda" Applause classic AE-33 (had to have an "O" name.)
"no name yet" S. Armienteras Spanish guit tar

Not a fancy stable, but they work for me.