View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Interesting. I played a Gaffney MD a while back and commented (to Michael Watts IIRC) that the headstock was way, way too elongated for my liking. Personally, I think it would be far more proportional to have it shorter. I guess it's Mr. Gaffney's call but I, for one, would be wanting to see something that didn't grate on me every time I opened the case. Of course others will have a completely different point of view.

All of these apprentices are seeking something to differentiate themselves from Somogyi (whose headstock I am no great fan of) and the headstock is an obvious target. I think some have done better than others.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, I agree with you. Julian and I have had some discussion about this and here's his response to the issue:

"I do understand what you mean about the "forehead" of the headstock (that's what we call that space in Ervin's shop). I used to build with a more common proportion there, like you might see on a Martin guitar. My aesthetic has developed a bit since those early guitars and now I have the opposite reaction to you. That's to say that I see the shorter headstocks as somewhat truncated and disproportionate.

We still have time to tweak that and I appreciate that you will be happy with my decision when I make it. What I think I'll do at some point this week is draw the shorter pattern on to the headstock and have a careful look. My guess is that I will prefer the greater length as I'm already leaning in that direction. I will share the results with you when I do that."